The HumanCurrent Podcast
The complexity podcast
Stories, interviews & casual conversations about the systems that shape our world & our work. Drawing inspiration from science, business and everyday life, we explore how understanding complex systems can help us make sense of the world, especially our human systems.
Get social with us
Episode Show Notes
Feeling Complexity with Radical Wholeness
In this episode, Haley interviews author and developer of TEPP (The Embodied Present Process) Philip Shepherd. Philip explains how Western culture has led us to believe the story of separation and isolation and he urges us to learn how to feel and...
Throwback to 2017
In this episode, Haley and Angie reflect on all the topics they have discussed with guests in 2017 and share exciting news about future guests in 2018 (including interviews with Melanie Mitchell from the Santa Fe Institute and Jean Boulton co-author of Embracing Complexity). They also share their full length interview conducted earlier this year with Professor Yaneer Bar-Yam...
The Path to Economic Growth According to Complexity Science
In this episode, Angie interview's complexity scientist, professor, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI), Yaneer Bar-Yam. Professor Bar-Yam shares the details of new research out of NECSI entitled, Preliminary Steps Toward a Universal Economic Dynamics for Monetary and Fiscal Policy...
Conference on Complex Systems 2017
In this episode, Haley interviews Dr. Carlos Gershenson who is a research professor, Editor-in-Chief of Complexity Digest, and a Co-Chair member of the Conference on Complex Systems. Dr. Gershenson discusses this year's conference and...
Hardwiring Happiness with Dr. Rick Hanson
In this episode, Angie interviews best-selling author, psychologist, and human potential expert Dr. Rick Hanson, who explains how understanding evolutionary neuropsychology and using daily meditative practice can help us feel...
Our Evolving & Complex Human Brain with Dr. Rick Hanson
In this episode, Angie interviews psychologist and New York Times best-selling author, Dr. Rick Hanson. Dr. Hanson eloquently describes how the human brain has evolved as a complex system and he shares...
Mysteries of the Extended Mind with Dr. Rupert Sheldrake
In this episode, we share our last interview from the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) conference with Dr. Rupert Sheldrake. Dr. Sheldrake is an English author and researcher in the field of parapsychology. He talks with Haley about...
Exploring the Science of What Connect Us
In this episode of the HumanCurrent, Angie and Haley talk about their experience at IONS (The Institute of Noetic Sciences) 17th International Conference The Science of What Connects Us and share their interview with Dr. Cassandra Vieten, the President of IONS. Dr. Vieten explains...
A Closer Look at the Female Brain
In this episode, Angie interviews best-selling author, neuropsychiatrist, and founder of the Women’s and Teen Girls’ Mood and Hormone clinic, Dr. Louann Brizendine. Dr. Brizendine talks with us about the complexity of The Female Brain, which is the title of one of her best-selling books. She also shares...
Unlearn Toxic Habit & Retain Your Brain
How much does our environment and our biology affect our behavior? How can understanding our biofeedback empower us to live well? In this episode, Haley interviews Eileen McDonald who is an inventor, speaker, and a cofounder and Chief Coaching Officer of the Axeos Performance Institute. Eileen discusses...
A Curious Conversation on the Brain & Body
In this episode, Angie informally interviews her fellow co-host, Haley Campbell-Gross, to discuss what she has learned from recent interviews, as well as what she has discovered while researching the complexity of the human brain. Angie and Haley also share...
The Science of How Nature Affects Our Brain
Can living in cities rather than rural settings differentially activate our amygdala? In this episode, Haley interviews science journalist, author, and podcast host Florence Williams to discuss how our environment influences our health and wellbeing. She shares research and...
Unintended Consequences with Complexity Scientist Yaneer Bar-Yam
Haley interviews professor, complexity scientist, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI), Yaneer Bar-Yam, to discuss the nature of global complex problems. Yaneer shares how quickly unintended consequences can ripple throughout our global systems. More specifically, he discusses...
Reversing Complex Problems for Global Security
Why are all our biggest global problems caused by reductionist thinking habits? How does the environment and sustainability influence global security? In this episode, Angie interviews global security thought leader, keynote speaker, and founder and CEO of BlindSpot Think Tank, James Greyson. James discusses...
Becoming Environmentally Conscious in a Complex World
In the spirit of Earth Day approaching, Angie and Haley discuss the importance of being environmentally consciousness. They also share clips from past guests, Laurie Marshall, Chris Ling, and James Greyson, who responded to a quote by environmental activist, Annie Leonard. Her quote states...
Developing Innovative Ecological Systems
In this episode, Angie interviews the Director of the School of Environment and Sustainability at Royal Roads University, Professor Chris Ling. Chris shares his experiences with sustainable community planning throughout his career, including some fascinating research he conducted on the scalability of farmer’s markets. Chris explains...
Complexity Science is Everyone's Science
In this episode, Haley interviews professor, complexity scientist, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute, Yaneer Bar-Yam. Yaneer talks about how we can understand complex systems science by applying it across all of the systems we interact with in our society today. He also explains the importance of...
Using Data & Design to Empower Team
In this episode, Angie interviews innovator, silicon valley veteran, and VP of Marketing at iCharts, Rico Andrade. Rico discusses the importance of a leader’s role in empowering teams and creating the right environment and conditions for them to interact and make real-time decisions. He also explains...
The Intersection of Diversity, Innovation & Performance
In this episode, Haley interviews Paolo Gaudiano, an entrepreneur, teacher and visionary who applies complexity science and thinking to all aspects of his work and life. He is the President and Chief Technology Officer at Icosystem, which is an inspirational organization that...
Human Networks Inspire Holiday Cheer
In this episode, Angie and Haley share clips from past interviews about the power of human networks. They also reminisce about what they have learned in 2016 and share...
Conscious Voting Through Political Curiosity
In this episode, Angie and Haley explore their political mental models in order to question their own assumptions and ideologies. They also share clips from past guests, John Feehery and Spencer Gerrol, regarding presidential power in the USA. Additionally, they discuss...
The Neuroscience Behind Your Vote
In this episode, Angie interviews Spencer Gerrol, human behavior specialist, applied neuroscience expert, and founder and CEO of SPARK Experience. Spencer shares the results from a research study he performed to gather biofeedback data from both Trump and Clinton supporters. He also discusses...
Compassion in Chaos
In this episode, Haley interviews Republican strategist, columnist, and part-time lobbyist, John Feehery, on the complexity of politics in the United States of America. John describes his political outlook and shares how and why democracy requires a lot of personal accountability from all American citizens.
The Myth of the Dysfunctional System
In this episode, Angie and Haley ask past guests—Benjamin Taylor, Angela Montgomery, Oleg Konovalov, and Sonja Blignaut—to share their thoughts on a quote by Jeff Lawrence. His quote states, “There is no such thing as a dysfunctional organization, because every organization is perfectly aligned to achieve the results it gets.”
Company Culture: An Emergent and Evolving Phenomenon
In this episode, Angie interviews Sonja Blignaut who is a narrative practitioner, change catalyst, and founder of a niche consultancy called More Beyond. Sonja shares how using a complexity thinking approach to study and influence company culture can...
- Jul 21, 2016 Episode 036 Harnessing System Potential Jul 21, 2016
- Jul 7, 2016 Episode 035 Using System Science to Improve Community Health Jul 7, 2016
- Jun 24, 2016 Episode 034 Network Challenges within Child Welfare Jun 24, 2016
- Jun 10, 2016 Episode 033 Human Stories for Network Change Jun 10, 2016
- May 26, 2016 Episode 032 Exploring Complex Human Networks May 26, 2016
- May 6, 2016 Episode 031 Understanding Complexity in Context, A Reflection Episode May 6, 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 24, 2016 Episode 028 Leaping into Design Thinking with Thought Leader Turi McKinley from frog design Mar 24, 2016
- Mar 10, 2016 Episode 027 Applying Design Thinking to Complex, Wicked Problems Mar 10, 2016
- Feb 25, 2016 Episode 026 Mindfulness: Complexity’s Best Friend Feb 25, 2016
- Feb 11, 2016 Episode 025 System Theories, Racism & Human Relationships Feb 11, 2016
- Jan 28, 2016 Episode 024 Discover Your Intercultural Intelligence Jan 28, 2016
- Jan 14, 2016 Episode 023 Throwback to 2015 Jan 14, 2016
- Dec 17, 2015 Episode 022 Turning Affordable Housing on It’s Head Dec 17, 2015
- Dec 3, 2015 Episode 021 Cultivating Social Resilience Dec 3, 2015
- November 2015
- Oct 22, 2015 Episode 018 Preparing for Complexity in Emergency Management Oct 22, 2015
- Oct 8, 2015 Episode 017 Emergent Ecosystems Oct 8, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Episode 016 The New Reputation Economy Oct 1, 2015
- Sep 24, 2015 Episode 015 Why Complexity? A Thursday Throwback Reflection Sep 24, 2015
- Sep 17, 2015 Episode 014 Wellness is Contagious Sep 17, 2015
- Sep 10, 2015 Episode 013 Michele Battle-Fisher: Public Health as a Complex System Sep 10, 2015
- Sep 3, 2015 Episode 012 System Thinkers Share Their Stories Sep 3, 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Episode 011 Isaac Morehouse on How to Be Your Own Resume Aug 27, 2015
- Aug 20, 2015 Episode 010 SuperEducation Aug 20, 2015
- Aug 13, 2015 Episode 009 "Systems Citizens" Aug 13, 2015
- Aug 7, 2015 Episode 008 Trust the Process Aug 7, 2015
- Jul 30, 2015 Episode 007 Certainty Merchants Jul 30, 2015
- Jul 23, 2015 Episode 006 Information, Ants & Inequality Jul 23, 2015
- Jul 16, 2015 Episode 005 Culture & Human Systems at Work Jul 16, 2015
- Jul 9, 2015 Episode 004 Complexity & "Flow" Jul 9, 2015
- Jul 2, 2015 Episode 003 Using Systems Thinking to Resolve Conflict, an interview with Jason Dykstra Jul 2, 2015
- Jun 25, 2015 Episode 002 The F-Word Failure (And Feedback Loops) Jun 25, 2015
- Jun 18, 2015 Episode 001 Why Complexity? Jun 18, 2015