The HumanCurrent Podcast
The complexity podcast
Stories, interviews & casual conversations about the systems that shape our world & our work. Drawing inspiration from science, business and everyday life, we explore how understanding complex systems can help us make sense of the world, especially our human systems.
Get social with us
Episode Show Notes
How Networks Learn
In this episode, Haley talks with physicist, complexity scientist, and MIT professor, Cesar Hidalgo. Hidalgo discusses his interest in the physics of networks and complex system science and shares why he believes these fields are so important. He talks about his book, Why Information Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies, which takes a scientific look at global economic complexity. Hidalgo also shares...
In this episode, Angie and Haley recap the WorkHuman Conference and share live interviews from the event. They share Haley’s interview with Jennifer Fondrevey, a Chief Humanity Officer who specializes in mergers and acquisitions and seeks to make a difference by rediscovering the humanity in business. They also share...
Relationship Building & System Innovation
In this episode, Angie talks with entrepreneur, public speaker, and systems thinker Amber Christian. Christian discusses how to build strong business relationships through personalization, technology, journey mapping, and transparent processes. She also shares...
The Complexity & Chaos of Creativity
How does chaos influence creativity? In this episode, Haley interviews designer, educator and author, Jon Kolko. Kolko shares details from his new book Creative Clarity: A Practical Guide for Bringing Creative Thinking into Your Company. During his interview, he explains how elements of complex systems science, including emergence, constraints, feedback and framing, influence the creative process. He also...
The Science, History & Implications of Real Magic
What is “real” magic? How is magic tied to consciousness? How will magic play a role in the future of science? In this episode, Angie interviews author and Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, Dean Radin. Radin discusses his scientific research on mind-matter interaction, consciousness, psychic phenomenon and esoteric magic. He also shares details from his new book, Real Magic, including...
Bring Your Human to Work
In this episode, we share a live interview from the WorkHuman Conference with Erica Keswin, Founder of the Spaghetti Project and author of the forthcoming book, Bring Your Human to Work. Erica is passionate about the science and stories of connection at work because as she mentions, “left to our own devices, we are not connecting”. In this episode, she talks with Angie about...
The Integration of Human & Artificial Intelligence
In this episode, Angie interviews Assistant Professor at the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI) and Visiting Scientist and the MIT Media Lab, Alfredo Morales. During his interview, he shares details from the AI and Beyond Program at NECSI, a five day certificate program where he presented alongside, Stephen Wolfram, Iyad Rahwan, and Yaneer Bar-Yam. He also discusses...
Why is it important for AIs to experience unconditional love?Can robots teach you to love? In this episode, Haley interviews author, systems thinker, researcher, and public speaker, Dr. Julia Mossbridge. Dr. Mossbridge is also the Principal Investigator and Team Lead for the Developing LOVing INtelligent General AIs or LOVING AIs project. During her interview, Dr. Mossbridge discusses the LOVING AIs project. She also shares why she believes it’s so important for AIs to experience unconditional love.
Exploring Artificial Intelligence with Melanie Mitchell
In this episode, Haley interviews leading Complex Systems Scientist, Professor of Computer Science at Portland State University, and external professor at the Santa Fe Institute, Melanie Mitchell. Professor Mitchell answers many profound questions about the field of artificial intelligence and gives specific examples of...
The WorkHuman Movement
In this episode, Angie interviews WorkHuman Radio Host and Social Marketing Manager at Globoforce, Mike Wood. Globoforce is a social recognition software company which is pioneering the WorkHuman movement, a movement “to galvanize leaders worldwide to harness...
Embracing Complexity An Interview with Jean Boulton
In this episode, Angie interviews author of Embracing Complexity: Strategic Perspectives for an Age of Turbulence, Jean Boulton, who is also an academic and management consultant, specializing in complexity theory. Boulton talks with us about many different concepts including: how complexity thinking compares to systems thinking, change management...
The Systems Worldview of Human History
In this episode, Angie interviews author and integrator, Jeremy Lent. Lent integrates systems biology, complexity science and neuroscience with ancient wisdom traditions to explore how different cultures throughout human history have created meaning...
Coherence & the Heart's Intuitive Guidance
In this episode, Haley talks with scientist, psychophysiologist, and the Executive Vice President and Director of Research at HeartMath Institute, Dr. Rollin McCraty. Dr. McCraty shares stories and examples from scientific research about the complex nature of heart coherence, intuition, and consciousness. He also talks about...
Feeling Complexity with Radical Wholeness
In this episode, Haley interviews author and developer of TEPP (The Embodied Present Process) Philip Shepherd. Philip explains how Western culture has led us to believe the story of separation and isolation and he urges us to learn how to feel and...
Throwback to 2017
In this episode, Haley and Angie reflect on all the topics they have discussed with guests in 2017 and share exciting news about future guests in 2018 (including interviews with Melanie Mitchell from the Santa Fe Institute and Jean Boulton co-author of Embracing Complexity). They also share their full length interview conducted earlier this year with Professor Yaneer Bar-Yam...
The Path to Economic Growth According to Complexity Science
In this episode, Angie interview's complexity scientist, professor, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI), Yaneer Bar-Yam. Professor Bar-Yam shares the details of new research out of NECSI entitled, Preliminary Steps Toward a Universal Economic Dynamics for Monetary and Fiscal Policy...
Conference on Complex Systems 2017
In this episode, Haley interviews Dr. Carlos Gershenson who is a research professor, Editor-in-Chief of Complexity Digest, and a Co-Chair member of the Conference on Complex Systems. Dr. Gershenson discusses this year's conference and...
Hardwiring Happiness with Dr. Rick Hanson
In this episode, Angie interviews best-selling author, psychologist, and human potential expert Dr. Rick Hanson, who explains how understanding evolutionary neuropsychology and using daily meditative practice can help us feel...
Our Evolving & Complex Human Brain with Dr. Rick Hanson
In this episode, Angie interviews psychologist and New York Times best-selling author, Dr. Rick Hanson. Dr. Hanson eloquently describes how the human brain has evolved as a complex system and he shares...
Mysteries of the Extended Mind with Dr. Rupert Sheldrake
In this episode, we share our last interview from the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) conference with Dr. Rupert Sheldrake. Dr. Sheldrake is an English author and researcher in the field of parapsychology. He talks with Haley about...
Exploring the Science of What Connect Us
In this episode of the HumanCurrent, Angie and Haley talk about their experience at IONS (The Institute of Noetic Sciences) 17th International Conference The Science of What Connects Us and share their interview with Dr. Cassandra Vieten, the President of IONS. Dr. Vieten explains...
A Closer Look at the Female Brain
In this episode, Angie interviews best-selling author, neuropsychiatrist, and founder of the Women’s and Teen Girls’ Mood and Hormone clinic, Dr. Louann Brizendine. Dr. Brizendine talks with us about the complexity of The Female Brain, which is the title of one of her best-selling books. She also shares...
Unlearn Toxic Habit & Retain Your Brain
How much does our environment and our biology affect our behavior? How can understanding our biofeedback empower us to live well? In this episode, Haley interviews Eileen McDonald who is an inventor, speaker, and a cofounder and Chief Coaching Officer of the Axeos Performance Institute. Eileen discusses...
A Curious Conversation on the Brain & Body
In this episode, Angie informally interviews her fellow co-host, Haley Campbell-Gross, to discuss what she has learned from recent interviews, as well as what she has discovered while researching the complexity of the human brain. Angie and Haley also share...
The Science of How Nature Affects Our Brain
Can living in cities rather than rural settings differentially activate our amygdala? In this episode, Haley interviews science journalist, author, and podcast host Florence Williams to discuss how our environment influences our health and wellbeing. She shares research and...
Unintended Consequences with Complexity Scientist Yaneer Bar-Yam
Haley interviews professor, complexity scientist, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI), Yaneer Bar-Yam, to discuss the nature of global complex problems. Yaneer shares how quickly unintended consequences can ripple throughout our global systems. More specifically, he discusses...
Reversing Complex Problems for Global Security
Why are all our biggest global problems caused by reductionist thinking habits? How does the environment and sustainability influence global security? In this episode, Angie interviews global security thought leader, keynote speaker, and founder and CEO of BlindSpot Think Tank, James Greyson. James discusses...
Becoming Environmentally Conscious in a Complex World
In the spirit of Earth Day approaching, Angie and Haley discuss the importance of being environmentally consciousness. They also share clips from past guests, Laurie Marshall, Chris Ling, and James Greyson, who responded to a quote by environmental activist, Annie Leonard. Her quote states...
Developing Innovative Ecological Systems
In this episode, Angie interviews the Director of the School of Environment and Sustainability at Royal Roads University, Professor Chris Ling. Chris shares his experiences with sustainable community planning throughout his career, including some fascinating research he conducted on the scalability of farmer’s markets. Chris explains...
Complexity Science is Everyone's Science
In this episode, Haley interviews professor, complexity scientist, and founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute, Yaneer Bar-Yam. Yaneer talks about how we can understand complex systems science by applying it across all of the systems we interact with in our society today. He also explains the importance of...
Using Data & Design to Empower Team
In this episode, Angie interviews innovator, silicon valley veteran, and VP of Marketing at iCharts, Rico Andrade. Rico discusses the importance of a leader’s role in empowering teams and creating the right environment and conditions for them to interact and make real-time decisions. He also explains...
The Intersection of Diversity, Innovation & Performance
In this episode, Haley interviews Paolo Gaudiano, an entrepreneur, teacher and visionary who applies complexity science and thinking to all aspects of his work and life. He is the President and Chief Technology Officer at Icosystem, which is an inspirational organization that...
- Dec 16, 2016 Episode 045 Human Networks Inspire Holiday Cheer Dec 16, 2016
- Nov 17, 2016 Episode 044 Making Sense Of Human Systems, An Interview With Professor Dave Snowden Nov 17, 2016
- Nov 4, 2016 Episode 043 Conscious Voting Through Political Curiosity Nov 4, 2016
- October 2016
- Sep 23, 2016 Episode 040 The Myth Of The Dysfunctional System Sep 23, 2016
- Sep 8, 2016 Episode 039 Company Culture: An Emergent And Evolving Phenomenon Sep 8, 2016
- Aug 18, 2016 Episode 038 A Philosophical Look At Company Culture Aug 18, 2016
- Aug 4, 2016 Episode 037 The Complexity Of Living Organizations Aug 4, 2016
- Jul 21, 2016 Episode 036 Harnessing System Potential Jul 21, 2016
- Jul 7, 2016 Episode 035 Using System Science to Improve Community Health Jul 7, 2016
- Jun 24, 2016 Episode 034 Network Challenges within Child Welfare Jun 24, 2016
- Jun 10, 2016 Episode 033 Human Stories for Network Change Jun 10, 2016
- May 26, 2016 Episode 032 Exploring Complex Human Networks May 26, 2016
- May 6, 2016 Episode 031 Understanding Complexity in Context, A Reflection Episode May 6, 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 24, 2016 Episode 028 Leaping into Design Thinking with Thought Leader Turi McKinley from frog design Mar 24, 2016
- Mar 10, 2016 Episode 027 Applying Design Thinking to Complex, Wicked Problems Mar 10, 2016
- Feb 25, 2016 Episode 026 Mindfulness: Complexity’s Best Friend Feb 25, 2016
- Feb 11, 2016 Episode 025 System Theories, Racism & Human Relationships Feb 11, 2016
- Jan 28, 2016 Episode 024 Discover Your Intercultural Intelligence Jan 28, 2016
- Jan 14, 2016 Episode 023 Throwback to 2015 Jan 14, 2016
- Dec 17, 2015 Episode 022 Turning Affordable Housing on It’s Head Dec 17, 2015
- Dec 3, 2015 Episode 021 Cultivating Social Resilience Dec 3, 2015
- November 2015
- Oct 22, 2015 Episode 018 Preparing for Complexity in Emergency Management Oct 22, 2015
- Oct 8, 2015 Episode 017 Emergent Ecosystems Oct 8, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Episode 016 The New Reputation Economy Oct 1, 2015
- Sep 24, 2015 Episode 015 Why Complexity? A Thursday Throwback Reflection Sep 24, 2015
- Sep 17, 2015 Episode 014 Wellness is Contagious Sep 17, 2015
- Sep 10, 2015 Episode 013 Michele Battle-Fisher: Public Health as a Complex System Sep 10, 2015
- Sep 3, 2015 Episode 012 System Thinkers Share Their Stories Sep 3, 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Episode 011 Isaac Morehouse on How to Be Your Own Resume Aug 27, 2015
- Aug 20, 2015 Episode 010 SuperEducation Aug 20, 2015
- Aug 13, 2015 Episode 009 "Systems Citizens" Aug 13, 2015
- Aug 7, 2015 Episode 008 Trust the Process Aug 7, 2015
- Jul 30, 2015 Episode 007 Certainty Merchants Jul 30, 2015
- Jul 23, 2015 Episode 006 Information, Ants & Inequality Jul 23, 2015
- Jul 16, 2015 Episode 005 Culture & Human Systems at Work Jul 16, 2015
- Jul 9, 2015 Episode 004 Complexity & "Flow" Jul 9, 2015
- Jul 2, 2015 Episode 003 Using Systems Thinking to Resolve Conflict, an interview with Jason Dykstra Jul 2, 2015
- Jun 25, 2015 Episode 002 The F-Word Failure (And Feedback Loops) Jun 25, 2015
- Jun 18, 2015 Episode 001 Why Complexity? Jun 18, 2015